LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:03:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:02:55 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: online Spanish question

------------------
Here at UTMartin, our first 3 semesters of language  study are 4-hour
courses (3 hours of class and 2 hours of lab...structured like a
science course).  We have received a request from a single working
mother who cannot come to campus.  She is on track for everything
(good grades, etc.) except the language requirement.  We offer
nothing at night or online.  She is requesting to take an online
course and substitute it for ours.  I have very serious doubts about
online lower-level courses, even though it is possible to give oral
practice to students.  I think there will be some pressure on us for
this one, but I note that the TN Regents course suggested is only
3-hours.  This poses some extra administrative problems.  Can anyone
recommend or point me to some 4-hour courses covering each of the
first two semesters of college Spanish?

TBob
Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library
http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.org/french/globe.html