LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:03:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
At 01:54 PM 4/21/03, David Herren wrote:

>The capital A with the tilde is the high byte of a two-byte european
>character [snip]If you're
>seeing this, then we know that your text is in fact stored as a UTF-8
>text.
>
>You're using Flash, correct? Are you displaying these Flash files as
>standalone files or within a web browser?

Thanks for the answer. I'm using the Flash player for this to execute a
standalone Flash movie.  When I type the accented characters in textboxes
within Flash, they display fine, regardless of whether I use projector to
create an .exe file, or I save as a .swf file. The problem only arises when
I use external text files.

><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

I understand that header is for a webpage, but I see there is a dash
between "UTF" and "8". All documentation I've seen shows "UTF8" (i.e., no
dash) as the snippet to include in the first line of the external text
file. Should there be a dash there?

Also, what would be a pure text editor that saves as UTF-8 and does not add
any proprietory code? (notepad in W2K did not have that option in the "save
as" menu)

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Perez