LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:47:51 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from christopher jones <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:53:58 -0400
>From: christopher jones <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7128 online Spanish question
>Originator-Info: login-token=Mulberry:01xyOcySqNCzf+getAEnkdRRKAIOgrQhIBVTSYyi79gw==; [log in to unmask]

------------------
Bob:

We have a 4 hour hybrid Spanish course at CMU in the Language Online
format, which is for the moment only available through us (ie expensive and
probably impossible for a single working mother). Info is at
http://mlonline.hss.cmu.edu if you want to take a look.

-Chris

--On Tuesday, April 22, 2003 3:03 PM -0400 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:02:55 -0700
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: online Spanish question
>
> ------------------
> Here at UTMartin, our first 3 semesters of language  study are 4-hour
> courses (3 hours of class and 2 hours of lab...structured like a
> science course).  We have received a request from a single working
> mother who cannot come to campus.  She is on track for everything
> (good grades, etc.) except the language requirement.  We offer
> nothing at night or online.  She is requesting to take an online
> course and substitute it for ours.  I have very serious doubts about
> online lower-level courses, even though it is possible to give oral
> practice to students.  I think there will be some pressure on us for
> this one, but I note that the TN Regents course suggested is only
> 3-hours.  This poses some extra administrative problems.  Can anyone
> recommend or point me to some 4-hour courses covering each of the
> first two semesters of college Spanish?
>
> TBob
> --
> Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library
> http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
> Robert D. Peckham, PhD
> Director, the Globe-Gate Project
> Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
> Department of Modern Foreign Languages
> Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
> http://globegate.org/french/globe.html

Christopher M. Jones, PhD.
Principal Lecturer in French, Director, Modern Language Resource Center
Baker Hall 160, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA 15213
tel: 412-268-5065  fax: 412-2681328  [log in to unmask]
http://ml.hss.cmu.edu/facpages/cjones