LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:03:02 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:37:10 -0400
>From: Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7126 French in Action audio on intranet?

Hi, Margo,

Although I cannot tell you how to install it onto the server, I have had a little experience with the audio CD's for FIA, since I purchased them this year, too.  In order to play them, you have to have QuickTime Player installed.  The tracks are labeled just as the workbook, and are easy to use.  But opening them in that player does not enable students to record their responses and compare them to the
master track, or for instructors to check their work.  You'd have to create a way to do that, and have enough space for them to save it, which your server should provide.

We have CAN-8 virtual language lab software here.  It enables you to create exercises for all kinds of recording, comparing, and tracking students' work. (I've tried entering one chapter from FIA, and it works beautifully.  But it will take hours and hours of work to do this, and I am not certain that the rights to put it onto a server would extend to this use.  So before I spend time recreating the FIA
exercises in the CAN-8 environment, I need to ask for permission to do so.)

Meanwhile, if you have a better way to enable students to record and play their oral work, and instructors to check it, short of purchasing another digital lab, please let me know.

Perhaps you need to see what the instructor has in mind before you decide how to install the FIA audio CD's.

Leslie Graul