LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:02:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 03:55  PM, Roberto Perez wrote:

> Thanks for the answer. I'm using the Flash player for this to execute
> a standalone Flash movie.  When I type the accented characters in
> textboxes within Flash, they display fine, regardless of whether I use
> projector to create an .exe file, or I save as a .swf file. The
> problem only arises when I use external text files.
>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>

> I understand that header is for a webpage, but I see there is a dash
> between "UTF" and "8". All documentation I've seen shows "UTF8" (i.e.,
> no dash) as the snippet to include in the first line of the external
> text file. Should there be a dash there?
>
> Also, what would be a pure text editor that saves as UTF-8 and does
> not add any proprietory code? (notepad in W2K did not have that option
> in the "save as" menu)

None of the UTF-8 files I use include the UTF-8 or UTF8 snippet as the
first line of the file, but that's no indication that for Flash this
wouldn't be required.

I'm afraid that I am unaware of a windows text editor that allows you
to set the file format of text files. I work in a unix environment
where this type of thing is the norm rather than the exception...

A quick search at Versiontracker.com yielded the following:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/27383

Said to be a unicode text editor for windows that is a nice replacement
for notepad.

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt us na terra solsys orionarm

"This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating."
- George W. Bush, as quoted by the New York Daily News, April 23rd, 2002