LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:15:22 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Richard Walters <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:18:24 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Richard Walters <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7116 Persian on Mac OS 10.2
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
To Prof. Murphy and LLTI subscribers:

This is in response to your question about Farsi on the Mac. I am not sure if it
will help much, but we have a platform-independent Remote Collaboration Tool
that is Open Source (see www.openrct.org) that can certainly display any UNICODE
character, including Farsi, if the input is solved (or if input is from a PC it
will show on the Mac).

I have withheld notifying this group until our version had most of the features
we really want to include (see Features page below the above web home page), but
since it is already being used in second language courses on several California
campuses, perhaps it is time to let you all know that this product is available
(and free).

If you have questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. For your
information, Professor Robert Blake, Director of the Second Language Acquisition
Consortium of the University of California has submitted a proposal to develop
a program for teaching Arabic using, among other things, OpenRCT. While tehre
are a few more characters in Farsi, we defintely have the Arabic characters
displayed on our screenshots page etc.

Dick Walters
Teaching Resources Center
University of California, Davis