LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:55:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:20:15 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7123 Hosting "Teaching with Technology" workshop

------------------
LeeAnn,
Are these workshop opportunities only open to educational institutions
in the United States or can Canadian post-secondary institutions
host a workshop?

Thank you,
Deanne Cobb

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:24:12 EDT LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> Mifflin continues to underwrite this 2-day traveling workshop for the
> benefit of our faculty and institutions, and again this year will be
> providing hosting institutions with 10 free registrations for their faculty
> to attend the workshop at their campus.
>          This workshop is a marvelous opportunity to provide quality
> professional development for your faculty, as well as to showcase your
> institution and facilities. Many campuses have used this workshop as an
> outreach opportunity for their local high schools.
>          I have appended some information regarding the workshop below.
> Feel free to contact me for further information and if you are interested
> in scheduling a workshop at your campus.
>

> LeeAnn Stone
>

> Hosting a $E3Foreign Languages: Teaching with Technology$E4 Workshop
>
> Workshop Description
> Faculty Development Programs, the International Association for Language
> Learning Technology and the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign
> Languages present a series of two-day workshops that bring together the
> technology expertise of IALLT with the hands-on tradition of ACTFL$E2s
> instructional workshops.  Intended for language educators, the workshops
> assist participants in the use of technology in the teaching of foreign
> languages within the framework of the national standards for foreign
> language learning.
>
> The Benefits of Hosting a $E3Foreign Languages: Teaching with Technology$E4
> Workshop Include
>
> §       up to ten free registrations for host institution attendees
>
> §       an on-site training for your staff without incurring travel expenses
>
> §       an opportunity to serve as a site for collaboration and interaction
> among regional language professionals
>
> §       an opportunity to showcase your programs and labs to surrounding
> institutions
>
> §       national exposure as a partner in this event
>
> §       an opportunity to promote other events that your institution is
> presenting
>

> Faculty Development Programs Provides
>
> §       An educational event created and presented by ACTFL, IALLT, and FDP
> on your campus
>
> §       Experienced facilitators with national reputations to present the
> workshop
>
> §       Promotion of this event in ACTFL, IALLT, and FDP advertising as
> well as through several national organizations and websites
>
> §       Honoraria, travel, lodging and expenses for facilitators
>
> §       Collection of fees and registrations
>
> §       All workshop materials including handouts, participant list, badges
> and certification of participation
>
> §       Negotiated rates with local hotels
>
> §       Payment for catered meals and breaks at the workshop
>
> §       A letter of agreement to host institution outlining
> responsibilities of FDP and host institution
>
> §       Materials to be used to promote workshop to your institution and

Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager
Language Resource Centre
University of Regina

Recommended CALL article:
Yoshii, M. & Flaitz, J. (2002). Second Language
        Incidental Vocabulary Retention:  The Effect
        of Text and Picture Annotation Types.  CALICO
        Journal, 20 (1), 33-58.

Quote:
"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors."
-Anon.