LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:45:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
At 03:35 PM 2/28/03, jeremy c munson wrote:

>Essentially you have to load the text dynamically through a text file...
>the text file contains actionscript code that is loaded before the movie,
>but treated just as if it was inside the movie. The text file is saved as
>unicode type UTF-8, and then you change the file extension to ".as"
>instead of ".txt";

Hi all,

Has anyone succedded in using non-English characters in the English version
of Flash MX? I followed all the instructions on this list and on the
tutorial links sent to the list, to no avail. Also, some online tutorials
say all external text is considered as UTF-8 as default, and some say how
the text is considered by Flash depends on the operating system.

What I've done so far is to use Windows 2000 to save the text file as
UTF-8, typing the accented words (in Spanish) from my Spanish keyboard, and
changing the extension to .as after saving as UTF-8. I also include the
necessary header (UTF8), but the accented vowels still display incorrectly
(they are not ASCII, they are not Hex values, just a combination of a cap
A, a tilde, and a numeral sign, for instance).

Is Word 2000 adding extra code to the unicode format? Is there a specific
text editor that should be used to save in pure UTF-8 code?

If anyone out there has it working, could you send me a simple .fla file
so that I can see what I might be doing wrong?

I'm using Windows 98 (English version) with language settings in Spanish
(traditional sort), Spanish keyboard, and Flash MX (English version).

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Perez