LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:54:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:45:57 -0400
>Subject: Re: #7125 Re:Unicode input in Flash MX
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
The capital A with the tilde is the high byte of a two-byte european
character (obviously the high byte does change, but for the european
languages with grave and acute accents, as well as tildes, etc., the
high byte is consistent for a large range of characters). If you're
seeing this, then we know that your text is in fact stored as a UTF-8
text.

You're using Flash, correct? Are you displaying these Flash files as
standalone files or within a web browser? If the latter, check the
encoding default for the web page to make sure it's set to utf-8 as
well. You can force the browser to switch encoding settings on the fly
by appropriate settings in the header. By way of example, here is the
relevant header information from all pages I produce:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<head>
        [snip irrelevant stuff]
        [more irrelevant stuff]
</head>

If you're not generating xhtml compliant pages, the xml header is
probably irrelevant for you, but the meta tag would be applicable. Note
that the final slash (/) in the meta tag is only required for xhtml,
not for html.

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 04:45  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> What I've done so far is to use Windows 2000 to save the text file as
> UTF-8, typing the accented words (in Spanish) from my Spanish
> keyboard, and
> changing the extension to .as after saving as UTF-8. I also include the
> necessary header (UTF8), but the accented vowels still display
> incorrectly
> (they are not ASCII, they are not Hex values, just a combination of a
> cap
> A, a tilde, and a numeral sign, for instance).

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt us na terra solsys orionarm

Don't blame me. I didn't vote for the inarticulate, short-sighted fool.
Funny, neither did the majority of the US population who cast votes...

Yo, Shrub. No war!