LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:37:42 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:41:41 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: disinfectants for headsets
>Disposition-Notification-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Return-Receipt-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

Though I don't want to give the impression to students that SARS may be
a concern, I also want to alleviate the concerns that are present
regarding headset use and the possible spread of the infection.
(Though largely ungrounded).

We don't currently have a program for disinfecting headsets after every
use.  Instead we have been disinfecting them with an industrial cleaner
2x weekly.  However, with students' concerns increasing due to the news
coverage of SARS, we would like to put into place a program that will
at least assist in alieviating some of the concerns.

I have read the discussions on the list regarding alcohol wipes and
other cleaners for headsets, and I have seen first hand the affects of
using standard alcohol wipes on headset padding.  And though I
recognize the opportunity presented by headsets with replaceable foam
covers, we are limited to simply cleaning our headsets due to the
equipment that we use (Divace system).

I am wondering, however, if anyone has tried either of the following
products:  Lysol disinfectant spray, Clorox disinfecting wipes.
(I know that at least the latter only claims to kill Staff and
Salmonella bacteria and there is no evidence that SARS is related to
either of these two.)  I am wondering if anyone knows whether they have
shown any signs of damaging plastic padded headsets.

Thanks for your assistance.

Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager
Language Resource Centre
University of Regina

Recommended CALL article:
Yoshii, M. & Flaitz, J. (2002). Second Language
        Incidental Vocabulary Retention:  The Effect
        of Text and Picture Annotation Types.  CALICO
        Journal, 20 (1), 33-58.

Quote:
"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors."
-Anon.