LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:58:45 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from JEFFREY J HAYDEN <[log in to unmask]> ---

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Laura Atkinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I upgraded a Chinese user to OS X, and AppleWorks opens her old
> ClarisWorks documents fairly well. However, parts that she had typed
> using the "Beijing" font now appear in the "Geneva" font, which means
> they come out as garbage. Highlighting those characters and choosing
> "Beijing" does not change anything.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

Before trying to open the files in OSX, if possible, try changing all
instances of Beijing to Song on a pre-OSX system with ClarisWorks/
AppleWorks.  I know when I open a document and the font is missing/no lon=
ger
installed, WordPerfect will default to Geneva as well.  Fortunately, with
WordPerfect I can change document codes (including font names) directly, =
but
this is not possible with AppleWorks, AFAIK.  If the document is more
Chinese than English, and not so much formatting is involved, she could a=
lso
just try pasting from AppleWorks to SimpleText (WorldText?), saving as
plain text, and pasting into AppleWorks.

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Otmar Foelsche wrote:

> Some time agi I tried out appleWorks with Chinese and discovered that i=
> is not ready for it! I does not handle two-byte code. You'll have to us=
> Text-Edit or MS Office - X. or marinerWriter 3.1 for OS-X

Which version were you using?  I use AppleWorks 6.2.3 on Mac OS 8.6 and
9.2.2 and it works beautifully ... better than that M$ <ugh> stuff.

                                        Jeffrey

Jeffrey J. Hayden               Dept of East Asian Langs and Lits
(=CD=F5=C1=FA=BE=D4/=A4=FD=C0s=BEs)                        University of Hawai'i at Manoa
eFax:  413.487.0389               http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jeffrey

We as instructors, however, have a responsibility to see that
_all_ students learn despite other distractions they might have,
even if this requires cracking our pedagogical whips.
--Thomas Robb, 2002