LLTI Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:37:56 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Margo Burns" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #7100.5 Sampo Player (!)
>Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:58:16 -0500
>From: "Margo Burns" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
--- Forwarded Message from "Zachary E. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]> ---

I came up against RCE for the first time today, and the Sampo 660 previously mentioned couldn't play the disk. As I understand it, RCE restricts use of code-free players in favor of players that specifically match the disk region. Has there been a recommendation thus far for a player that can actively switch between regions?

----

The Sampo 612 allows you to skip region codes, or set your player to a specific one.  The directions below are from the Area 450 website (http://www.area450.com).  The writer seemed to think that RCE disk were not a problem for this model.  I don't know about the 660, but I'd check the Area 450 site if I were you.  They have various firmware hacks for lots of models.

--Margo

Power up your player

Press OPEN/CLOSE

Key in 3, 3, 0, 8, 8, 0

Press OPEN/CLOSE

Power down your player

"R0 "  will appear on the screen in the bottom left hand corner on the DVE612. The  DVE612(N) is slightly more informative, advising you that " REGION NO : 0 ".

The player is now hacked for all-region playback.  RCE discs appear to playback without any problem.

It is also possible to render single-region  playback on the player by changing the number at the end of the sequence :

e.g.

for just Region 1 playback the sequence is  3, 3 ,0, 8, 8, 1(" R1 " appears on the screen)

for just Region 2 playback, the sequence  is 3, 3, 0, 8, 8, 2(" R2 " appears on the screen)

and so on. Note that you need to run the entire  sequence (i.e. including the power on/off and open/close routine) each time you  want to change the region