LLTI Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:04:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:17:29 -0500
>Subject: PHP/mySQL
>From: Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

We are using PHP/mySQL to keep store data for online exercises, and for
distance learning courses. We used ASP/SQL Server for our placement test,
but if I could do it over, I'd do it in PHP/mySQL.

What's even sexier is that we use Flash MX for the front-end. Flash
communicates with the server very well. I've tested this solution both on
Linux and Mac OS X. The code works the same way 100% on both platforms.

An added benefit is that both technologies are open-source and free (my
favorite price)! In short, I'm sold on the PHP/mySQL solution.

I'd be happy to share my experiences with these technologies with anyone
who's interested.

Dennie
Director, Language Learning Center
Michigan State University