LLTI Archives

March 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:10:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Heller <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:15:39 -0500
>From: Michael Heller <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7070 Codefree  DVD players on computers
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Currie,

You might want to look at the DVD Idle software for the Windows OS
(http://www.dvdidle.net/).  We evaluated it and will license for our
operation.  No region hacks are needed which could render OEM or
aftermarket drives useless. More importantly, no user intervention is
required and it works with most DVD player software.   I did query on
educational pricing and a copy of DVDIdle's 1/03 response appears below.

Best,

LLTI-Editor wrote:

>--- Forwarded Message from "Currie Thompson" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>

>>Subject: Codefree  DVD players on computers
>>Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:17:38 -0500
>>From: "Currie Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>>

>-------------------
>
>In conjunction with my research, I want to view DVDs from Europe and South America.  Our tech people are searching for an "internal" DVD player (i.e. a computer program) that is code free.  This would be less costly than a normal DVD player.  So far, they have only found programs that allow users to set the zone.  This would allow me to view DVDs from either Europe or South America, but not from both areas.  Does anyone know of a suitable program?  Thanks,
>        Currie K. Thompson

Michael Heller
Director of Language Learning Technology
College of Humanities & Social Sciences
Montclair State University
1 Normal Ave (CHSS/DI-287B)
Upper Montclair, NJ 07043-1699