LLTI Archives

March 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:28:15 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:41:22 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>,       Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7063 German special character

Perhaps you could simulate the character that you want, umlaut over
hyphen, with an umlaut and the combining macron.  I haven't tried it,
I'm just thinking that the macron is one of the few characters that I
am aware of that has a standalone form ($AF) and a combining form
($304) in Unicode.  There may be other "combining" options in Word or
HTML.

On the other hand, perhaps the best solution is to provide the
student with more comprehensible information. I suspect that the
obscure, specialized shortcuts that appear in dictionaries, were
created by a league of insane typesetters in preceding centuries as
revenge against the elite classes.  I may be wrong about that, but it
is clear that many students find such typography very confusing or
completely opaque.  Indeed, PhD professors find some of these
typographical quirks confusing, too, in languages that they haven't
studied.

A teacher faces the dilemma of whether to do what the dictionary
does, so that students get used to it, or to print things in a way
that students are likely to understand the first time.  I tend to
pick the latter approach, since in my experience, students are
already frustrated enough with learning a new language, and their
motivation and attention levels are diminished by additional,
unnecessary levels of typographical obfuscation.  I've tried both
approaches, and neither one fully solves the problem.  I am no longer
surprised when an advanced student misunderstands dictionary
typography after several years of study.

Derek