LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:34:57 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jim Hogg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:51:32 -0500
>From: Jim Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7058 Final Cut Pro/Final Cut Express and hard drives
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

As far as hard drives, there are many variables that could contribute
to dropped frames. Even fast hard drives may drop frames if conditions
are not optimal. I've read many complaints about hard drive models, but
mostly they are about drives that break down. I've had good success
with IBM drives, although one particular model seems to have problems.
Most complaints are about Maxtor drives. Still others use them with no
problems. I think Apple even uses Maxtor's in their machines sometimes.

When FCP first came out, Apple recommended only ultra fast SCSI drives.
Then people began using ATA drives which were a fraction of the cost of
SCSI, and you could put up to six of them in a G3/G4 tower with an
added ATA controller card. Now I don't think there is much debate about
speed of drives and use with FCP/Express

A 7200 rpm drive with fast seek time should work. That's pretty much
any relatively new drive. I've used 5400 rpm drives successfully with
FCP on a G3. Most professional FCP users would recommend having one or
more dedicated drives for media . That is have your system and program
on one drive and your captured video files on another. If you can have
three drives, I would even dedicate a drive for render files. Perhaps
even a fourth drive to keep graphics and extra audio tracks like voice
overs, music and sound effects (not the original audio with the movie--
that stays with the video track if its DV). That way when you've got
multiple things happening at the same time, your single hard drive
isn't searching all over the place and reading files trying to keep up.

If you only have one drive and  everything has to be on it, make sure
your system is clean and your drive is optimized. A fragmented drive
will never work with video. If your using OSX, run Disk Utility/First
Aid/Repair Disk Permissions. To optimize the drive, you'll have to boot
from an OS 9 disk (external) and run something like Plus Optimizer,
Tech Tool Pro, or Norton.

Good luck, Jim