LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:54:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Tim Pope <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:49:36 -0700 (MST)
>Subject: Re: #7039 language software compatible with OSX
>From: Tim Pope <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Webgen 2000, reviewed by CALICO in the fall of 2001, has now been
optimized for OS X. Rather than being a native Mac application it is a
Java applet that runs in Internet Explorer under OS X. The same applet
will now run identically under Windows as well. Webgen delivers
self-authored language exercises and activities with relatively
sophisticated answer parsing. It includes a 50,000-word bilingual
dictionary for manual look-ups. Webgen can be used for interactive
exercises or "hand-in" ones, or a mixture of both, using email networking
for submission of hand-in exercises and activity reporting.
Tim Pope, Chair
Department of Modern Languages
The University of Lethbridge