LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:02:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> --- Forwarded Message from jeremy c munson <[log in to unmask]> ---
> Macromedia's FLASH makes streaming MP3's easy, and there's no way to right
> click on the Flash movie to know where the stream is coming from. I think
> Quicktime can do that too using 'ref movie' but I'm not familiar with
> that.

QuickTime Streaming and ref movies can hide the source path.  Depending on
how things are implemented, some methods can expose the source path, but if
the movies are QuickTime streaming and save-disabled, it is *very* hard to
file-capture the stream.  (Other things that can be done are: hide the
source with a poster or alternative movie; don't allow the movie to go into
the cache, password protect the launch URL, etc.) If you're not worried so
much about anyone being able to just listen to the audio, then QT streaming
is a very good solution.  QT Streaming Server 4.1 and the latest Darwin
Streaming Server support MP3.

From "QuickTime for the Web for Windows and Macintosh" 2e copyright 2002
Apple Computer:

"Only very sophisticated users, equipped with packet-sniffing technology,
are able to intercept and copy these data streams.  It takes additional
sophistication to to reconstruct a movie from them.  For well over 99.9% o
the population, it's simply impossible."

QT encryption is also in the works.

The University of Washington Language Learning Center provides a free
controller for QuickTime movies with recap, markers, etc.:

http://depts.washington.edu/llc/tools/qt_controller/

general QuickTime streaming server info:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/

authentication:

There is tons more info off the Apple QuickTime site as well, for
developers.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington