LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:27:21 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Christopher M. Jones" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:45:03 -0500
>From: "Christopher M. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7039.3 language software compatible with OSX (!)
>Originator-Info: login-token=Mulberry:01geOFmuRN9Ai4QdQRzDkGFsxACbnlAvvSD+5Ys/+3Qw==; [log in to unmask]

------------------
All:

The answer on OSX compatibility may have more to do with tools than with
existing packages. Anything web-based is OSX compatible by definition. The
whole Macromedia MX suite (Flash, Director, Dreamweaver etc) is available
in OSX versions and Director MX will compile to OSX versions.

The short-term solution for older packages is to run them in Classic mode,
as Mike suggests, but any future development for the Mac will certainly be
OSX compatible, if not OSX exclusive within a year or two.

The issue is a short-term problem for Mac users, no doubt, but the
advantages of OSX are so huge that this won't be a discussion for much
longer. I frankly have more problems keeping up with the browser wars...

-Chris

--On Wednesday, February 19, 2003 1:22 PM -0500 LLTI-Editor