LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:22:38 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:24:33 -0500
>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7038.9 software or program? (!) tenure and promotion part
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
A part of Ursula's question no one has addressed yet is how the "poor"
prof.
is going to use this program for tenure and promotion.  This is a huge
question.
In the US American system the vast majority of people doing the tenure
and
promotion process have no clue at all how to evaluate this kind of work
for that
kind of process.  MLA tried to help with this and some of our members
such as
Joel Goldfield tried to help with that.   However the final draft of
this report wound
up being quite unhelpful to many of us (especially those of us who work
in administrative
roles).  Nina Garrett and others published a response to this report
which has (unfortunately)
been widely ignored.

I guess what I would say to all of you dealing with this issue, is that
it is best dealt with
locally.  If you can get any kind of local ruling saying how a piece of
software/program
equates to a more traditional publication, you are ahead of the game.

Otherwise the person has to extrapolate from MLA, CALICO/IALLT/etc.
white paper
on tech. in ed. along with the Nina et al report along with outside
reviewer report.

Not a pretty and happy picture.

One of the items some IALLT members are working on is to improve this.

Best to all,

Mike Ledgerwood
Director of the Language Learning and Research Center
Tenured Professor of French and Technology and Education