LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:22:29 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:14:19 -0500
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7035.4 Securing MP3 in language labs (1)

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center
Loyola College in Maryland
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210
Ph: (410) 617-5230
Fax: (410) 617 2859
>>> [log in to unmask] 02/18/03 16:56 PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:46:14 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7035.3 Securing MP3 in language labs (1)

------------------
I am not sure but I think the problem originally articulated had to do
with
a Divace (Tandberg) lab (that is, one in which students are supposed to
use
Divace and nothing else to play the media) where the media is on a
shared
server, not on the Web. That is, it is material that is essentially
being
delivered in a face-to-face classroom situation, and should not be
copied
or copiable.

I would say it might be easiest to make sure that the files are too
large
to be easily copied. If the student computers have CD burners, this
would
not help, but if the students don't have easy access to a copying device

for large files they can't copy them.

Judy Shoaf

The problem is that they can still e-mail the files to themselves.

-Dave