LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:22:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Margo Burns" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
"Sangeetha Gopalakrishnan" <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>I am trying to find a Satellite TV provider who offers the Deutsche Welle
>programming. I have already checked with Dish Network and Direct TV and they
>do not.

We had to buy a separate dish and IRD to get Deutsche Welle.  I found the information on their website and contacted a local satellite dish installer (he did out DISHnetwork installations, too), for a total cost of around $1000, as I recall. On the up side, the programming is free. On the down side, we've found that it's mostly "talking heads" -- and not enough in German (a lot in English and Spanish).  We are lookjing into "GermanTV" for more variety, but I don't think that is going to be anytime too soon.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone in the northeast who has got that service in place, however!

Cheers,
Margo

Margo Burns
Director of The Language Center