LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:22:46 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Michal Krynicki" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Michal Krynicki" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "IALLT listserv" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Looking for suggestions / advice setting up a language lab for phonetic exercises.
>Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:27:56 -0500

Looking for suggestions / advice setting up a language lab for phonetic
exercises.

Hi all,

We are soon moving to a new building and have a chance to revamp our
language center. Overall our center works fine (and that$E2s being objective;
I am running it;-) but most of our labs are comprehension and writing
exercises (in an open lab - no cubical:
http://www.wlu.ca/~wwwml/llc/newindex2.shtml ) and we don$E2t really know how
to accommodate phonetic exercises. We have tried introducing some but
students complained that they did not feel comfortable speaking into the
microphone in a lab full of students working quietly. Consequently, we are
considering setting up a separate room with five machines dedicated to
phonetics. Is there anybody out there who has any experience with such setup
/ or knows alternatives? Since this would be a completely separate room we
anticipate that disciple could be an issue. I have also heard that some labs
use portable dividers that can be placed on the desks to separate individual
students. Has anybody any experience with those?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Michal Krynicki
LLC Coordinator
Wilfrid Laurier University