LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:44:37 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jim Hogg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:50:23 -0500
>From: Jim Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Region Free DVD player
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello all,

I mentioned in the recent thread "DVD's of Foreign Films" a machine
available from Target that I thought could be "hacked" to play any
region DVD. I'm glad to say they have such machine.

I bought a Daewoo DVG-4000S ($79.99) last night and within minutes of
unpacking it, including plugging it in and connecting the cords, I was
playing Japan DVDs (region 2) on it. There is a "secret menu" that can
be accessed with the remote control that allows selection of a specific
region or to bypass region detection all together. The player has a
multi standard power supply 100-240v 50/60 Hz so I figure they make one
unit for the whole world, then sort of hide the menu to change the
region code.

Here is a direct link for the DVG-400S with directions for using the
remote control to change regions.

http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/Daewoo_DVG4000S/DVG-4000S.htm

I used the first option for using the remote control.

There are also directions for updating the firmware so the machine is
Macrovision free. This is a little more involved and potentially can
damage the machine. I'm not going to do this to my brand new machine,
yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if this machine also has a PAL/NTSC converter
in it too. I don't have any PAL DVDs to test in my unit.

Have a nice day, Jim

James Hogg
Language Center Manager
316 Gannett Center