LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:44:30 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:13:33 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Levy on Digital Recording Devices <fwd>
>Disposition-Notification-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Return-Receipt-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

For all Canadian Educational Institutions:

I recently made a discovery that potentially could save my deparment a
considerable amount of budgetary funds every year.  Many Canadian
members of this listserv may be aware of the tax levy that the
Government has imposed upon all recording devices in response to
lobbying from the CPCC (Canadian Private Copying Collective).  This
amounts to 29 cents on every blank audio cassette that is more than 40
minutes in length.  (It also applies to various other recording devices,
such as CD-R, etc.) What I had been unaware of, and in fact, my
University as a whole had been unaware of, was that educational
institutions can apply to be exempt from these tax levies.

Since this information was unknown to myself and my colleagues, I
decided that it may be of some use to other educational institutions in
Canada.  Below is the email that I received from the Centre for Business
Development, Government of Canada.

Thank you!
Deanne Cobb