LLTI Archives

January 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:24:18 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:47:50 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7005 New language centers

------------------
Jack,
As an addition to your list:
Deanne Cobb
University of Regina
306-585-4396 (ph)
306-585-4815 (fax)

Our facility is designed to be used both in a lab setting, with multiple
classes, completing multiple assignments and also as a testing facility.
We chose the Tandberg ICM Divace Duo system and have been very happy
thus far.  Our front console is a dual-console which allows for maximum
flexibility for use, and it sits raised above the rest of the room on a
small platform.  The student desks are arranged in slightly angled rows
to allow a slight stagger of the desks, and therefore better visibility.
The teaching assistants that generally accompany the students to the lab
are able to control the student computers from the front, but also have
the freedom to walk around the room and work individually with students
at their desks.  We are very happy with the modifications that we were
able to achieve with our limited budget.

Please feel free to change anything that you feel needs changing in the
above description, or if you would like more details and less fluff,
please let me know and I will try to fill it in better for you.  This is
just off-the-cuff.

Thanks!
Deanne Cobb

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:04:06 EST LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

> >Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:44:28 -0500
> >Subject: New language centers
> >From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>
>
> ------------------
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I'm in the process of organizing a workshop on language center design for
> the upcoming IALLT conference.  I would like to create a list of recently
> completed (or upgraded) centers in order to give workshop participants
> contacts for possible site visits.  If you would be willing to show your
> installations to colleagues and/or respond to inquires about them, I would
> love to hear from you. Kindly respond to me directly
> ([log in to unmask]) with the following information:
> Your Name
> Institution
> Phone Number
> Fax Number
> Email address:
> Short description (e.g. 100 words) of your facility
>
> I'll collate whatever information I receive and post it on the LLTI and
> CALICO-L listservs so that everyone can benefit from it.  Thanks in advance
> for taking the time to help.  Jack
>
> -------
> Jack Burston, Ph.D.
> IALLT Language Center Design Kit Editor

Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager
Language Resource Centre
University of Regina

Recommended CALL article:
Yoshii, M. & Flaitz, J. (2002). Second Language
        Incidental Vocabulary Retention:  The Effect
        of Text and Picture Annotation Types.  CALICO
        Journal, 20 (1), 33-58.

Quote:
"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors."
-Anon.