LLTI Archives

January 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:09:37 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:34:33 -0500
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "<"<[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: SECAM DVD, is there such a beast?

We've just purchased a DAEWOO DVD-5800 Mutli-Region DVD Player with PAL conversion and are finally able to watch some DVDs a professor purchased in Spain a few years back. However, before I announce on our faculty listserv that professors can now bring back DVDs from their overseas adventures, I'd like to know if there is such a thing as a SECAM DVD? The player I bought does PAL conversion, but the documentation does not mention SECAM, and I've not been able to confirm the existence of SECAM DVDs after running a few Google searches. Was European integration not supposed to gradually eliminate the SECAM standard? Are French DVDs PAL format or are they still SECAM?

Thank you
-Dave Flores

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center