LLTI Archives

January 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:48:22 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jianxiong Wu <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:59:32 -0600 (CST)
>From: Jianxiong Wu <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Looking for an IALLT Co-presenter with CAN-8 Experiences

We will be doing a half-day pre-conference workshop in IALLT 2003 in
Michigan.  The title of the workshop is "Planning and Selecting a
'Turn-Key' Digital Language Lab".  The panel will consist of language lab
professionals who have recently installed a digital language lab.  The
panelists will be so selected that all major brands of language-lab
products are represented, including ASC, CAN-8, Sony and Tandberg.
Currently, we already have presenters for ASC, Sony and Tandberg, and we
are particularly looking for someone who has recently installed a CAN-8
lab and would like to share the experience.  If you are the person
and would like to be a co-presenter of the workshop, please contact Rick
Treece, the moderator ([log in to unmask]), and me.  I am attaching the
workshop proposal in the following for your reference.

Thanks,

Jian Wu
University of Minnesota
612-625-3865

IALLT 2003 Proposal

Planning and Selecting a "Turn-key" Digital Language Lab

The panel consists of language lab professionals (NOT vendor
representatives) who have recently installed a digital language lab.  The
panelists have been so selected that all major brands of language-lab
products are represented, including ASC, CAN-8, Sony and Tandberg.

The workshop participants will be led through an in-depth analysis of the
steps, process and various issues to consider when planning and selecting
a digital language lab.  Particular attention will be directed to such
basic issues as how to conduct a needs assessment, how to identify and
compare lab features (both hardware and software), and which features will
best serve the targeted needs.  Other topics will include costs, physical
setting, warranty, upgrade, training, support, etc.  Panelists will share
their actual experiences and pinpoint specific factors which tipped the
scale in deciding in favor of one product over another, and, of course,
hindsight reflection on what could have been done differently.

This workshop is intended for people who are interested in installing a
digital language lab.