LLTI Archives

January 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:39:40 EST
----- Original Message -----
From: "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 12:04 AM
Subject: Re: #7000.1 seeking digital camera recommendations (!)

--- Forwarded Message from Marty Dewindt <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:59:26 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Marty Dewindt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7000 seeking digital camera recommendations

------------------
We have used Olympus D series for since 1999 for our student abroads. We
have 6-8 of them now  of several vintages. They have been handled and used
and abused by hundreds of kids and are wonderfully reliable. B&H Photo is
probably the best place for pricing, but check out the model on the Olympus
site below.

The disadvantage is that you do need to have the Olympus software, Camedia,
on any computer to download from the camera. I believe it uses SmartMedia
for storage. With the two Sony's below you need no special software - just
pop in the floppy or CD.

In that same price range are the Sony Mavica FD series (FD=Floppy Disk).
These are larger, but equally sturdy. We have about 8 of these used by
Lower School teachers for 2 years. There are still 3 models available and
more money = more megapixels.

For a little more money ($500ish), the new Sony Mavica CD will hold way
more pictures. Puts pictures on the mini cds - available in packs from
Walmart, etc. This is my camera of choice unless size is an issue. The
Olympus is smaller - great for travel.

Olympus: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_dseries.asp

Sony:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Bro
wseCatalog-Start;sid=d8clxNLgZSwlnOzRHE0vz53sQ7DX9GF67KM=?Dept=dcc&CatalogCa
tegoryID=gdsKC0%2eNTk0AAADyjO48ye_U

B&H Photo:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=CatalogActivator__Ac
atalog_html___CatID=989___SID=F3293FD1160

Marty
Marty DeWindt
AcadTech Director
The Principia