LLTI Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:17:55 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mark Sanford <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 20:02:27 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Mark Sanford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6988Taping satellite channels

This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the LLTI list
at LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If  you simply forward it back to  the list, using a
mail command  that generates "Resent-" fields  (ask your local user  support or
consult  the documentation  of  your mail  program  if in  doubt),  it will  be
distributed  and  the  explanations  you   are  now  reading  will  be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (95 lines) ------------------
&quot;DishNetwork&quot; receivers to one of their dishes, my first choice
would be to buy another receiver for your open lab. I just checked the
telecom closet down the hall from my office, and we have a device on the
wall in there called &quot;Multi Dish Switch model DP34&quot; which takes
a cable from each of the 3 Dishes on our roof and routes them all to 4
different &quot;DishNetwork&quot; receivers - each receiver in a
different classroom.<br>
If this kind of purchase is not going to happen, it's time to go to Radio
Shack.<br>
1) I wonder if it would be possible to extend the cable from the
classroom drop to the open lab. Snake it over duct work and along
baseboards and such. You might run into the &quot;maximum cable
length&quot; spec that limits how many meters of cable you can have
between source and receiver without unacceptable loss of signal strength.
In that case you have to get a distribution amplifier.<br>
2) If running cables around the building is too much trouble, how about
going wireless with this Sender Box/ Receiver Box from Radio Shack? The
&quot;2.4GHZ Wireless Room-to-Room Audio/Video Sender.&quot; Of course
I'm curious about this device because we don't have one. I can't say how
well it performs.<br>
in that classroom and then run over to the open lab to act out the parts
of the program. I say Mime because we want it kept quiet in our lab, and
I assume you do too.<br>
Years ago we used to tape programs off our old satellite system - <i>way
</i>across the campus! - because we did not have distribution cables
running to the classrooms. We then made these tapes available for viewing
in the lab. I much much prefer having a receiver right there in the
classroom, and the students and teachers do too. They like to watch news
programs as they are happening, and can also record programs of
interest.<br>
My best regards,<br>
Mark<br>
______________________________ <br>
John Mark Sanford <br>
Senior Multimedia Technician <br>
Center for Language Study <br>
Yale University <br>
Tel. (203) 432-0588 <br>
Fax. (203) 432-4485 <br>
[log in to unmask] <br>
Message from Judy Shoaf &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt; ---<br>
&gt;Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:15:35 -0500<br>
&gt;To: Language Learning and Technology International Information
Forum&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;<br>
&gt;From: Judy Shoaf &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;<br>
&gt;Subject: Taping satellite channels<br>
&gt;In-Reply-To: &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;<br>
UF just bought a dishnetwork dish and we are getting 6 foreign-language
channels with more to come. Unfortunately the language-lab cable system
drop is in a classroom, not the open lab, so would like to plan to tape 6
hours a day of each channel (erasing tapes after they are a few days old)
so that current material is always available for viewing in the open
lab.<br>
How do other labs handle this kind of situation?<br>
I have in the past negotiated with Univision and Deutsche Welle for
taping <br>
rights, and they were very generous--but, ironically, I was never asked
to <br>
tape the material! The language departments or individual instructors did
that.<br>
The stations we are receiving are NHK, Phoenix Chinese, Al Jazeera, CNN
en <br>
espanol, TV5, and Record. We are hoping to add RAI, Israeli Network,
and&nbsp; a <br>
Russian package, too. Are these all easy to deal with?<br>
Judy Shoaf<br>