LLTI Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:51:31 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:32:57 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6988Taping satellite channels

This message was originally submitted by  [log in to unmask] to the LLTI list at
LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If you simply forward it back to the list, using a mail
command that generates "Resent-" fields (ask your local user support or consult
the documentation of your mail program if in doubt), it will be distributed and
the explanations you  are now reading will be removed  automatically. If on the
other hand you edit the contributions you  receive into a digest, you will have
to remove this  paragraph manually. Finally, you should be  able to contact the
author  of this  message by  using  the normal  "reply" function  of your  mail
program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (62 lines) ------------------
Caution... doing routine taping can be a black hole of time and expense!  We require instructors to come make a request, talking to us so we can determine why and how they plan to use it.  We follow the off-air guidelines in that regard.  We used to have a staff member who couldn't seem to keep from taping everything he found interesting.  Of course he got nothing else done.  And note "used to have a staff member" <grin>.  Good luck...

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/08/03 02:54PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:15:35 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Taping satellite channels

This message was  originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to  the LLTI list
at LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If  you simply forward it back to  the list, using a
mail command  that generates "Resent-" fields  (ask your local user  support or
consult  the documentation  of  your mail  program  if in  doubt),  it will  be
distributed  and  the  explanations  you   are  now  reading  will  be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (17 lines) ------------------
UF just bought a dishnetwork dish and we are getting 6 foreign-language
channels with more to come. Unfortunately the language-lab cable system
drop is in a classroom, not the open lab, so would like to plan to tape 6
hours a day of each channel (erasing tapes after they are a few days old)
so that current material is always available for viewing in the open lab.
How do other labs handle this kind of situation?
I have in the past negotiated with Univision and Deutsche Welle for taping
rights, and they were very generous--but, ironically, I was never asked to
tape the material! The language departments or individual instructors did
that.
The stations we are receiving are NHK, Phoenix Chinese, Al Jazeera, CNN en
espanol, TV5, and Record. We are hoping to add RAI, Israeli Network, and  a
Russian package, too. Are these all easy to deal with?

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida