LLTI Archives

December 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:36:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Chris Lovett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:19:37 -0800
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> (by way of Victoria K.  Williams)
>From: Chris Lovett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6970 DVD/Region Free

Many thanks for the info, our dept here at UC Berkeley purchased a
Pioneer DV-353 for $159 (free shipping) from world gift center
(www.220giftcenter.com) that was region free.  Please note that while
most of these machines will play a NTSC/ PAL  DVD from anywhere they
will not do scan conversion.
That is to say that if a PAL signal goes in then a PAL signal goes
out and most US televisions only display an NTSC format signal.
However if you are using an LCD projector or something else that will
display a wide range of signals then you'll have no problem.
If the AKAI does scan conversion then it is quite a bargain

Cheers,  Chris Lovett

PS  The Pioneer DV-353 also was easily 'rack' mounted being only
1.75" tall and less than 18" wide.