LLTI Archives

December 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:18:48 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 08:17:26 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: DVD/Region Free

------------------
We have two very clever women professors here who needed to play some legally purchased DVDs from another region.  They shared the following, which I thought might be of (intellectual) interest <grin>.  The bottom line is that you can buy specially modified DVD players for about $200 (such as the Pioneer DV-533 at bhphoto.com), or you can take this approach, thus enabling you to play your legally purchased DVDs.

>>> 12/04/02 10:50PM >>>
The DVD player we bought is an AKAI DVPS-760 progressive scan.  I found it
on one website for $109, but they charged $25 shipping, so I bought it at
another site for $121.95 including cheap shipping. www.overstock.com

The sites listed numerous DVD players, so I looked for one that would play
any DVD on any TV - both NTSC and PAL, and this one qualified.  Daewoo was
cheaper, but I didn't want to risk buying something under $100!  [My colleague]
did that, however, and she got the Daewoo to work with my [non-US] DVD.

We went to www.nerd-out.com and posted an inquiry about making it region
free, and got the following instruction that worked for our model.
Naturally, you'd had to ask specifically for instructions for each model you
might purchase.

To make this player region free, do the following:
1) Open the disc tray
2) Push SETUP on the remote control
3) On the remote control push the following buttons:

91010
step
shuffle
next