LLTI Archives

December 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:18:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:31:21 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6963 Recommendation needed: Multistandard VCR & Codefree DVD

------------------
The Odyssey DVD player is great and seems to read everything.
However, I find that our equipment dept. is not going to buy them because
they feel this is a potential violation of the new copyright laws. It is
important for institutions to respect the regional encryption on the DVDs.
My understanding is that the Odyssey does not ignore or violate the
encryption but includes the appropriate decoding mechanism for each
region--that is, it would not violate the law.
However, someone on the list reported a while ago that the distributor was
no longer carrying the Odyssey player because of copyright concerns.

I would be interested in comments.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida