LLTI Archives

December 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:36:46 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Janis Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Janis Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6961.1 Multimedia authoring for Hebrew? (!)
>Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:27:38 -0500

------------------
Here are my two cents from the non- roman language trenches:
As far as I can tell, the viaMedia program doesn't work with non-Roman
fonts. Please let me know if I'm wrong! There are two programs that I
found that are useful for non-Roman fonts- BlueGlas http://blueglas.com
(their server seems to be down today)  and WinCALIS
http://www.humancomp.org/wincalis.htm.  I found both of these programs
useful but there can be a long learning curve to come up to speed with
them.  In the end, our lab went with CAN-8. The downsides to CAN-8 are:
the high cost, the proprietary nature of the programs you produce (the
user must have the CAN-8 software which is costly), and the
inflexibility of the use of graphics.  On the other hand- I have found
CAN-8 to be a wonderful interactive tool for creating functional (albeit
unsophisticated-looking) interactive lessons (and they are Unicode
compliant- can use virtually any language.)  And most importantly, the
students enjoy working with it and the instructors find the student
tracking feature very useful. Programs like Flash can be useful, but
there is a cumbersome cut/paste way you need to deal with non- roman
fonts (and the interactive-ness is fairly minimal- i.e.- you can't have
a student's voice as interactive or enter non-roman text from a keyboard
as part of the interaction- you can do stuff like multiple choice,
true/false, etc.)

I would be most interested in hearing from anyone who has found a
program that can incorporate non- Roman fonts and can create
web-based/interactive modules!

Janis Smith
Director, Becker Media Center
Reconstructionist Rabbinical College