LLTI Archives

December 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 18:56:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Zachary E. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

> To input a transliteration of Japanese into Word files, a user
> running Word v. X on a Mac under OS 10.2 would like to place a macron
> over the letter U, a combination which does not seem to be part of
> ordinary keyboarding.

Since only romanized Japanese would normally need a macron, can we use a
latin font that includes macrons? OS 10.2 includes a unicode character
palette - the macron can be found under the Unicode Blocks tab, then
Halfwidth and Fullwidth Forms. It's unicode number is FFE3. That said,
I'm not really sure how to implement this. The Character Palette has an
"insert" button, but I don't know which font to use that would support
that particular part of unicode. In theory it should work in MS Word X if
we choose the right font (right?).

Anyone else out there have any suggestions? Is anyone using a Unicode
wordprocessor? I remember the post about Mellel, is anyone using it? (I
have to figure out a good implementation for Devanagari in OSX soon.)

best,
Zach

Zachary Chandler                        [log in to unmask]
Language Technology Consultant          (207) 872-3898
Colby College
Waterville, Maine 04901