LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:19:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'LLTI-Editor '" <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: "'adaer'" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: 36943 names for department?
>Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:55:41 -0500

 - Forwarded Message from adaer <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>Dear fellow LLTIers,

>My supervisor, Chair of Foreign Languages, has asked me to find
>information
that I am really at a loss to provide without your help.

Foreign Languages at SUNY New Paltz is going through a self-assessment
study
>this year.  Faculty members of this department would like to change the
name
>to be more inclusive as we will soon be housing an undergraduate EFL
>program.
We have also been having trouble getting new culture courses approved,
e.g.
>"Russian Today," because other departments on campus do not realize that

teaching a language requires cultural knowledge as well.  They insist
>such
courses should be offered through history or political science.

>Two new names suggested have been "Foreign Languages, Literatures, &
>Culture"
and "Languages, Literatures, & Culture."  Are you at an institution
where
>'culture' is included in a department's name?  If so, could you please
>respond
to me directly?

>Thank you in advance,

>Becky Adae   [log in to unmask]

Becky, in answer to your question, Our building, housing the Romance
Languages Department, the German, Russian and Asian Languages Department and
the Language Media Center, is officially called the Olin Center for Foreign
Language, Literature and Culture. You should point out to your
administrators that it was the inclusion of "Culture" in our application to
the Olin Foundation that helped make our proposal a successful one.  The
Olin Foundation at that time generally funded buidings for the sciences, but
the inclusion of culture studies (and the inclusion of a strong technology
program to support its teaching) was significant.
I hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Ed Dente
(from AECT in Dallas -- great Texas BBQ country.)