LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:49:46 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:45:11 -0500
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "<"<[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Copyright questions: legality/enforceability/scope.

The recent question about self-instructional language methods/materials reminded me of a question I've been meaninig to ask.

Recently I purchased a commerical Spanish language learning CD-Rom to evaluate, since I'd like to begin stocking self-instructional materials in our language learning center. When I launched the program, however, the User License claimed that the disc was for consumer use, and not for educational use. Educational customers were required to purchase a different package. Now, it's no sweat off my back, really, since I found the offering to be little more than a few fluffy multiple-choice quizzes wrapped around a couple of uninspiring Quicktime videos. However, I was wondering about the legality/enforceability of such copyright restrictions. Can a publishing company really prevent our multi-media lending-library from stocking and lending out a CD-Rom? I know that Record companies have been trying to stamp out sales of used CD's for some time with little luck beyond intimidating larger chain stores into not stocking them. Indeed, our local library lends out CD's. I also understand that US law guarantees used bookstores the right to re-sell books (which is not the case in some countries).