LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:19:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

> Would you be willing to write a sentence or two
> about the _content_ of some of the digital video
> projects you have helped support?

Our most successful video-using language course is an intermediate
Portuguese class (300 level/third year).  The course was taught
during two previous semesters, and is scheduled for a third time in
Spring 2003.  The course is taught in Portuguese, with the goals of
improving language proficiency.  However, the content of the course
is rigorous and comprehensive introductory training in video
production.  The pedagogical model assumes that language learning
will be enhanced by the authentic communication demanded of the
students in creating their videos, and that grammar, lexical and
usage problems can be addressed effectively as they arise.

The students study acting, camera work, editing and post-production.
They begin with instruction in the first two areas, followed by lots
of exercises, practice, critiques and analysis of the results.  After
that phase, students form groups, which choose a scene from a short
list of options provided by the instructor.  These are carefully
chosen from Brazilian literature and theater.  Selections have a
small number of roles, usually two or three characters.  The emphasis
is on dialog within a neutral, reproducible or accessible
setting/location (not "deep in the Amazon jungle").  The selections
must have a complete dramatic moment, with development, climax and
denouement within approximately ten minutes of screen time.

We have found that having a separate "director" for a scene doesn't
work.  The actors in a particular scene are the ones who study the
work, memorize the lines, and create the scene.  They become the
directors as well.  Other students work as their camera, sound and
technical production team.  At the same time, these support people
are actors/directors in a different selection.  So each student will
be actor/director/in charge of their own selection, and be a
technical production team member in another project or sometimes two.
It is interesting that students routinely volunteer to help other
groups with their productions, beyond what is required in the
syllabus.

Much time is spent on preparation.  Students rehearse, rehearse,
rehearse their scenes before shooting anything.  They create story
boards, planning the shots, camera angles and cinematic structure of
their scene.  They have lots of deadlines and many deliverables along
the way.  They write journals, plans, and analyses of their
selections.  They begin to practice filming the scene, and editing
the results.  These are practice runs, usually without a set or
location, and are not used in the final project.  Near the end of the
semester, students do the final shooting (on multiple days, as they
arrange for themselves).  Then the actors/directors begin editing and
post production (primarily music, titles and additional sound).  This
final phase is pretty intense, and the students are so excited and
motivated that they willingly put in long hours.   The last class is
a presentation of the projects to class members, along with family,
friends and guests.  Students also turn in a final written report on
their project.

We don't have the students write their own dramatic scripts for
several related reasons.  When we tried it, we found the results
disappointing.  Here are some of our conclusions, in no particular
order.  When students create their own scripts, they naturally use
vocabulary and structures that they are familiar with.  This doesn't
stretch their language abilities as much as working from literature.
We see significant value in increasing their contact with the
literature and culture of the target language.  Developing a good,
short dramatic script is a difficult task.  A class could reasonably
spend a whole semester on writing.  We don't think there is time to
include good writing with learning acting, cinematography and
editing.  Working from a weak or hurried script is less inspiring for
the students and leads to a product that disappoints them.

Fanziska Lys of Northwestern has done great work in a structure where
students do write their own scripts.  She has chosen to eliminate the
drama, literature, and acting elements.  Her students write and
produce news stories.  In general, students conduct interviews with
native speakers of the target language (German, in her case) to
produce an interesting journalistic piece.  The video projects must
include background material, introduction, the interview, and
analysis.  She trains her students with examples from Deutsche Welle,
among other things, which they then imitate in creating their
projects.  I don't have the URL, but she did have an excellent
presentation on her approach up on the web.  Hopefully, it is still
there.

Common elements that I see between our program and Franziska's are
the realization that there isn't time to do everything and that
students need lots of modeling, guidance and structure to make the
project a success.  Careful planning and limiting of the scope of
activity has lead to wonderful results.  Students report great
enthusiasm for the program.  Their motivation is obvious not only in
their faces, but in their eagerness to spend many extra hours in
preparing their projects.  The amount of conversation and discussion
in the target language, particularly passionate argument for a
student's artistic vision, followed by negotiation and compromise,
exceed anything that I have seen in a traditional intermediate
language class.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]