LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:22:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:59:59 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6948 Copyright questions: legality/enforceability/scope.

------------------
This is an interesting distinction that I have seen with video but not with
software (or audio). Video rights, as the FBI warning keeps remindg us,
include any public showing of the item. Some companies purchase from the
copyright holder the right to sell the video to educational institutions
with freedom to show it in classrooms (and sometimes in free "film
festival" type showings). So you can buy a personal copy for $25 or a copy
which is licensed for classroom use for $200.

Whether in fact showing a film or part of a film in a classroom requires a
separate license may be questioned, but some companies do negotiate this
specific right and pass it on to their customers.

I am not sure how this would apply to software, since the standard for
software is usually the number of computers on which it is available (lab
pack or site license), or the number of individual users who can access it
at a given time.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida