LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:35:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 10:23:53 -0500
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6928 Using digital video with computers

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/04/02 04:20PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from gayle pellicano <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 16:15:25 -0800 (PST)
>From: gayle pellicano <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Using digital video with computers
>To: [log in to unmask]

Hi all,

I am studying with the Online Master's of Arts in
Educational Technology at Pepperdine. I teach at a
combined junior and senior high school in Japan. I was
wondering if anyone has ever used digital videos with
their students. I thought it might be fun for the
students to do a role play or something and then check
it out on the computer. I would also like them to
learn how to edit digital video and such.

Has anyone ever done this? Or do you have any ideas
about using digital video?

What are some ways you use the computer as a tool for
language developement?

Any and all ideas will be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Hello, Gayle.

I have used video in class before, and it was pretty succesfull, I'd
say. A coupe of semesters ago I was teaching a Spanish 103 class using
the textbook "Claro Que Si." The last chapter is a short play. So I
grouped my students and had them memorize a scene so that they might act
it our before the camera one day. We filmed it, and had much fun doing
it. On the last day of classes, as they were filling out their
evaluations I played the video for them, and they were quite amused.

I was recently hired tu run Loyola's new Language Learning Center, and
digital video will soon figure prominently in our lab. The editing of
digital video is really quite simple and fun. If you have Mac OSX there
is a video editor included. For PC's, many commercial products are
available. We're currently running "Pinnacle Studio" and have found it
most satisfying. I have used it for digitizing material to put on the
server. You and your students should be able to learn to edit video in
no time.

-David Flores
Director: LLC Loyola College in Maryland