LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:00:28 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Pat Foster <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:13:35 -0800
>From: Pat Foster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6903 Lab in transition, suggestions?
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>

Here at EWU, we're in the midst of a transition such as yours, with
our lab whose use is very similar to yours.

Four years before my arrival in 1999, our lab had been built using
several classrooms whose walls were removed to make a 1,700 square
foot space. A Tandberg console with 30 student stations, lots of
bells and whistles, new furniture and new computers were installed.

When I arrived, the computers were quite outdated but running. The
Tandberg was in fair shape, though the video system was mostly
defunct. Problems with the Tandberg started to escalate, such as the
loss of 15 audio stations and repeated power supply failures (which
continue today).

We decided that a software-based system to replace the Tandberg would
be a wise move, considering that our network had just been upgraded
(10 Mbit to 100 Mbit Ethernet) and could more easily handle a system
delivering material over the network instead of the proprietary
"network" installed with the Tandberg system. We would perhaps be
free of the myriad hardware problems that continue to plague us, and
would not be hampered by the physical constraints of the extra wiring
that goes with a hardware-based system. To facilitate the move to a
software system, during the next funding cycle we decided to switch
from Macs to PCs to increase our chances of finding the best software
to replace our Tandberg.

The current configuration has new PCs no longer attached to the
Tandberg whereas before, each computer could deliver audio and video
from the Tandberg. We deliver analog audio through the Tandberg to
the audio stations. Digital material goes over the network to the
computer, since much of our material has been digitized (with more to
come) and is now accessible over the web. Each station now has two
pairs of headphones, one connected to the computer, the other to the
Tandberg. The two systems are now separate and are used in parallel
and not as cumbersome as we thought it might be. We're fortunate that
our multimedia folks can host all of our digital audio on their
servers so that the need to "play tapes" is in decline and will
someday disappear.

The next step will be the software-based system. Though I've heard of
good experiences from others with Tandberg, I'm still leery given our
problems with their hardware. I'll probably be begging the group for
advice on that decision! Once that is in place, we can remove the
Tandberg hardware and replace the furniture (oh, the pain!). I see
these two steps as taking place in the next two years, but with fears
that budget issues will hamper us. In the meantime, we have a very
workable hybrid approach.

Contact me if you'd like more info off-group and good luck!

Pat

>--- Forwarded Message from "Carol H. Reitan" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: "Carol H. Reitan" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information
>>Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Lab in transition, suggestions?
>
>------------------
>Hello,
>
>I have a question for you LLTI experts. Here's the background:
>
>We have a drop-in lab (old sony console plus drop-in computer section) and
>a classroom that features a projection system, and the Sony LLC-9000 plus
>35 audio stations. Instructors actually use the console for pairing and
>testing especially for our conversation courses that emphasize
>pronunciation (the Mandarin courses for speakers of other dialects of
>Chinese for example). Four- five years ago we were able to purchase
>computers for the classroom which were just placed on top of the audio
>station desks. Classes would do work on the web, learn to use Chinese and
>Japanese word-processors, etc. Other classes just use the console, or show
>a video.
>
>Here's the question:
>
>Now that the computers are getting older and we're thinking about
>replacing them, rather than just replace the computers and continue with
>the audio station with the computer set on top, what kinds of transitional
>scenarios have any of you investigated? It seems a waste of money to get
>35 brand new computers and continue with the current situation. The desks
>are inconvenient for students, no space to write (monitor and keyboard in
>the way). The furniture is also less than optimum for computer use, we
>have tight rows, and it's hard to get in there to do the troubleshooting
>and hands on help that some of our students require. Trashing the analog
>console is out of the question now because teachers use it, and we can't
>afford to redo the entire lab with a tandberg (or tandberg type) system
>and new computer furniture. But, the instructors using the room to have
>their students access web-based resources, do research, and learn
>word-processing in various non-roman font languages also need to be
>served. What transitional scenarios have some of the rest of you used?
>Any ideas?
>
>Thank you all for your suggestions.
>

>--------------------------------
>Carol Reitan, Language Center
>Instructor of French
>City College of San Francisco
>R205, 50 Phelan Avenue
>San Francisco, CA 94112
>(415)452-5555
>http://fog.ccsf.edu/~creitan
>http://www.ccsf.edu/Departments/Language_Lab

Patrick A. Foster
Director, Modern Languages Learning Center
http:mllc.ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University
(509) 359-6002