LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:00:21 EST
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 05:53:00 -0500
>Subject: Re:_=?ISO-8859-1?Q?#6927_=B5Novell_Group-Wise_and_East_Asian_languages?=
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I hope it's just a setting on the groupwise server I occasionally have
to use, but I've just attempted to send an email containing Japanese
text to myself on another account, and while I received the message,
groupwise apparently stripped all two-byte characters from the message
(so essentially I received only my signature in the message).

To be fair, I have note that the administrator of the groupwise system
I use frequently errs on the side of extreme conservatism, and sets
EVERYTHING to the absolute most restrictive settings possible until
someone can convince him that this setting or that is necessary...

On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 04:20  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> Our campus is switching from PineMail and WebMail to Novell GroupWise.
> Until now, our Chinese and Japanese instructors have used the web-based
> mail available. Our IT people have asked me how GroupWise handles East
> Asian languages, so that they can be ready for the large number of
> people
> at our school who use these fonts. The Novell site says that GroupWise
> 6.0
> handles Chinese and Japanese, but I'm wondering if any of you have
> experience with this and have any suggestions, or cautionary advice we
> would really appreciate it. Thank you very much

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt  us na terra solsys orionarm

I can resist anything but temptation.  -R.S.