LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:00:13 EST
--- Forwarded Message from adaer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:36:19 -0500
>Sender: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>From: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6916.13 Labs going under (!)

------------------
To John and others who have inquired,

Well that figure ($558k)is misleading.  This is what we will have spent once
we have everything that was on our wishlist last fall. My institution has been
publicizing this quote for so long now, that I have forgotten that it's not
for real, yet.  (I *was* very upset at first that they would do this, but then
I had to learn that I'm not paid to worry about that.) Part of that amount
will go towards equipment to teach less-commonly taught languages through
satelite and more software licenses. What money was spent on so far:

$210,000+ -- remodeling three rooms, CAT 5 wiring, academic LAN/Internet
connections *everywhere*, installation of a security system

$169,000  -- one SONY LLC-8000 system with 25 student DELL Pentium IVs, 2
instructor DELL PCs, SONY Conductor and Soloist software licenses, Robotel
cabeling harness, DELL audio/video server, one HP laserjet printer,
interfaces, power supplies, SONY conference board, etc.(but *not* headphones.
We used what we had from our former 50 seat SONY LC 9000 lab.)

$55,000  -- Furnishings: 56 42" wide student Synsor desks with 46" sides,
brackets, shrouds; 2 instructors's desks; my office furniture; 50 upholstered
student chairs, 3 pneumatic chairs (for instructors and me), a data cabinet
for the server

$43,000 -- Video encoding/digitizing station: includes another DELL PC,
software, synchronizer, production monitor, video/audio switcher box,VHS
recorder/player, double cassette player

That all comes up to a frightening $477,000 but includes training and freight.
We bought all the DELL equipment directly with a hefty state contract discount
except for the 3 DELL PCs that SONY (Chester Technical Services-CTS) was
Alex Libra server ($35k plus another $15k for audio) and they claim to this
day that we will not be able to stream video to more than a handful of people.
They would not warranty that aspect of the system. (We bought a DELL
audio/video server for $15k that my VP for Acad. computing claims is more
robust.  He's prepared to bite his words, however, and we have made room for
another server.)   I was able to get the Robotel cabeling at our state
contract rate too, though we bought it through CTS.

I haven't been too happy about the setup of the equipment.  Is it normal to go
through a semester working out kinks?  Last week's snag: a "no-name" card on
the teacher's control PC, which they sold to us, will not allow us to boot up.
 Therefore we can't use the system at all.  The whole installation has been
*very* adhoc.  CTS relies on this one tech who has a real problem
communicating even with them.  This was one  of the main reasons I did not
want to go with SONY again, aside from being the highest bidder, but we had
other reasons for using them as a sole source provider.  Too bad that includes
service.

Best regards,
Becky

>Becky:
>
>I am curious and perhaps others are too. What did SUNY get for $558,000.00 in
>terms of software, computers, networks, servers, furniture and equipment?
>
>John

Ms. Rebecca Adae, Coordinator Language Learning Center
State University of New York at New Paltz
75 S. Manheim Blvd., JFT 414
New Paltz, NY 12561-2440 USA
845.257.3609  (fax)845.257.3512