LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:49:46 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bill Hogue <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:17:23 -0800 (PST)
>From: Bill Hogue <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6921 microphone extension boxes?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Donna Apgar wrote:

====

Seneca ordered their computers with the extension boxes preinstalled.   We
did not do this so need to figure out where to purchase (or how to create)
extension boxes for headset plug-in in the front of the computer so that
students are not crawling around the back to plug in.

Our IT department has not found a dealer for this type of thing....but
might put something together that would work.....Does anyone out there
have any experience with creating or locating such a device?

Thanks for your suggestions....

====

If the front of the computer is accessable, you could look into something
called a "drive bay transfer panel". All sorts are available, with or
without USB, Firewire.... The idea is simple. A cable plugs into your
sound card (and whatever else) and passes through a slot cover with a hole
in it. The cable runs into a plate that fits in a drive bay. The plate
supports the connector. They are simple to install and I wouldn't be
surprised if you could get a good price on a bulk order.

Good luck,

Bill Hogue
Kobe, Japan