LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:49:52 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:02:46 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6919 Unicode Wordprocessin on Mac?

> --- Forwarded Message from "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]> ---

> What are people using to support word processing in Unicode on the
> Macs?   I am beyond frustration with Word, please help.

A colleague in Australia responded to a similar question some months
back:  "Mi tre forte rekomendas tiujn signitajn per asterisko..."

*FarText Gold -- senpaga, tre kapabla tekstprogramo, unu el la plej
bonaj por Os X.
*MacJournal -- senpaga, tre kapabla..
*Okito Composer -- senpaga, eksterordinare kapabla programo tre
simila al Microsoft Word.
*ThinkFree Office -- pagenda programo (US$30), simila al Microsoft
Office, kun bonega tekstprograma parto..

BasicText -- senpaga programo, iomete pli kompleta ol TextEdit
EasyWord -- senpaga programo, iom simila al la iama SimpleText
SUE -- senpaga, simpla programo simila al SimpleText
WorldText X -- programo senpaga de Apple, kun kelkaj nekutimaj
kapabloj
Krome, NoteBook, senpaga, estas tre utila, unikodkapabla programo.
<<

For those of you who don't speak this dialect of Australian, he
indicates that the first four programs listed above are highly
recommended, especially FarText Gold.  All are free except ThinkFree
Office, and all are supposed to be at VersionTracker.com.

Another colleague recommends CharView 1.3.5 as a utility for viewing
all the available characters in a Unicode (or any other) font.

One of the most exciting features of OS X for language people is the
ability to create custom keyboards in XML.  My initial dabbling leads
me to believe that this is the simplest and most flexible way yet to
create a keyboard to get the characters you want via the keystrokes
that you prefer.  There is even a website which claims to generate
the keyboard files for you:

http://wordherd.com/keyboards/

I've got to move from dabbling to experimenting.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]