LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:47:59 EST
--- Forwarded Message from adaer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:47:06 -0500
>Sender: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>From: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6916.4 Labs going under (!)

------------------
Nope, SUNY New Paltz is definitely *not* going under.  We just (Oct. 16th!)
officially opened our new $558,000 language learning center.  Foreign
languages and ESL have always been stressed on this campus for many reasons:

1) a GE requirement of 2 semesters of FL, unless you use a second language at
a native level, though some transfers from community colleges can get out of
this.

2) the presence of the Language Immersion Institute for non-traditional
students  (weekend and 2-week programs)

3)  the presence of a strong and long established ESL program

4) many strong international study abroad and exchange programs

5) location, location, location. We're not Boston, nor Amherst, but we're only
90 minutes from NY City, the tuition is cheap, the scenery and air are out of
this world, and the diverse foods/people/culture make New Paltz a happening
place.

6) It also helped that my proposal for a lab upgrade coincided with the
Provost's plans to move a lot of departments around.  Basically my old lab was
prime real estate in that it was ADA compatible.  To move elsewhere required a
major remodeling, not to mention the new equipment and an office for me.

Now I have to prove that the major investment in my lab was warranted. (I was
blacklisted by some of my colleagues in Academic Computing when the Provost
raided their tech fees for my lab.) Time to sell....

Becky

Ms. Rebecca Adae, Coordinator Language Learning Center
State University of New York at New Paltz
75 S. Manheim Blvd., JFT 414
New Paltz, NY 12561-2440 USA
845.257.3609  (fax)845.257.3512