LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:52:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:47:14 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6893 OSX for language labs?

------------------
Beth et al.

We tried NetBoot for our lab full of new iMacs from one of our OSX
servers, but the connection is still 10 base and it was all way too
slow, so we stopped net booting.

I like OS 10.2 on my desktop, especially now that OSX native apps are
more widely available.

As far as OSX server, well that is a different story:

The GUI just doesn't dove tail well enough with what is actually
happening, or needs to happen, in the guts. All of us here who have
done anything on the server, simple or sophisticated, have gotten
frustrated with it.

Remember, these are essentially UNIX machines using Apache. As such
our own web app utilizes MySQL/PHP, through which students also take
online tests. My very excellent staff, who work on it far more than I
do, circumvent the GUI every chance they get.

As it now stands, when the lease runs out next year, we'll still get
Macs for the lab, but  we will seriously consider straight Unix boxes
for the servers (even for the streaming server, QT streaming software
is obtainable for free).

In any case, although I love Macs, ...

Of course, between now and then, a couple of generations will have past.

Have fun.

Scott
--
Scott G. Williams, Ph.D.

Tel: Office (817) 272-5650 / LAC (817) 272-5148
Fax: (817) 272-5408

email: [log in to unmask]

LAC: (http://langlab.uta.edu/LAC/welcome.htm)
Modern Languages:( http://langlab.uta.edu)