LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:22:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "pmarcy" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "pmarcy" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6903 Lab in transition, suggestions?
>Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:44:30 -0700
>Disposition-Notification-To: "pmarcy" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
A couple of thoughts.

One, spend the extra $300 per monitor to get flat panels.  If you do an
energy conservation study, you would find that the flat panels will pay
for themselves within the year on electricity savings.

Two, we use a combination of three digital audio recording systems.  One
is the Tandberg you mentioned.  The other is the free "Sound Recorder"
software that comes with Windows under the Accessories menu.  We have
about 10 professors who have their students come in and use Sound
Recorder and then we save their files to a particular place on our
server and eventually download them to a CD-r for the instructors.  The
third system that is just catching on like wild is Wimba.com Voice
Discussion Board.  It cost us about $5,000 for the software and 25
streams.  Wimba works just like any other online discussion board with
the exception that it allows voice recordings for the postings.  The
technology of it is much smoother and simpler than Sound Recorder.  And
I love it because I don$E2t have to coordinate downloading to a CD since
it is available to the instructor from anywhere at any time.

What you sacrifice is the pairing and controlled testing, but I think it
is worth it.

Peggy Marcy
Mt. San Antonio College
Walnut, CA