LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:22:26 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:44:04 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To:  Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6901.1 Audio in on e-Macs (!)

------------------
The iMic is made by Griffin Technologies
<http://www.griffintechnology.com>.  It is a nice little device,
which will accept either mic level (mono) or line level (stereo)
analog audio input, and output a digitized signal via USB.  We have
been happy with this device.

We have not been happy with Apple's decision to eliminate analog
audio inputs on many of their computers, as Jack noted.  I was
pleased to read that the new eMac, powerbook and G4 Tower models
again have an audio input, and that this feature will return on each
succeeding new model.  I  am sorry to hear Jörg Waltje's report that
the eMac's audio input is line level only.  I don't know if the same
limitation applies to the other new Mac models.

Griffin used to make an adapter which would convert a mic level
signal to line level.  I just spoke with them on the phone, and they
said they don't currently have a product that will solve the eMac's
mic input problem, excepting the USB solutions.  Since the issue of
line level vs. mic level analog audio has been around for decades,
there are many microphone pre-amps on the market.  I just called my
local pro-audio store, and they have five or six to choose from, all
more powerful and expensive then needed for this case ($70-$500).
Radio Shack used to have one for about $15, but I just called, and
the local store didn't know what I was talking about.

The circuit diagram for a simple one-transistor microphone preamp can
be found at:
<http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/circuits/micamp.html>.
I am sure there is a cheap solution out there, but I haven't found it
yet.  If anyone comes up with a source, please let us know.

Derek Roff

--On Friday, October 18, 2002 4:24 PM -0400 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> All Macs for about the past two years accept only
> digital audio input, which is most likely why your
> e-Mac doesn't recognize the mic input. There is,
> however, a third-party solution available.  It's
> called i-Mic, a small analog to digital converter, one
> end of which plugs into the Mac and the other into
> your analog microphone.  I've used it with the
> CALIFONE, so I know it works. However, the i-Mic wil
> cost you as much as the CALIFONE headset.  Jack
>
> Jack Burston, Ph.D.
> CALICO Software Review Editor

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]